Cannoli Cream-Filled Strawberries


My dearest Cannoli Cream, 

I love you. You are so sweet and silky smooth. When it's hot out, you make a wonderful base for ice cream, tossed with pistachios and dark chocolate chunks. Of course, I adore you in your classic shell, too, but that deep-fried pastry doesn't do my body any favors. So, this Valentine's Day, I've decided to give you a bright and juicy new home: a strawberry! You're a pretty nutritious pair (for a dessert, anyway), full of protein, calcium, and antioxidants. 

Will you be my Valentine? 

Love forever,
Justine


Ingredients
yields about two dozen filled strawberries, depending on how big your berries are and how much you fill them
  • 1 1/4 cup good quality ricotta (try my easy, creamy homemade ricotta!)
  • 2 ounces cream cheese
  • 2 T powdered sugar
  • 1-2 tsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp lemon zest
  • 24 strawberries, cleaned and dried
  • additional lemon zest or shaved dark chocolate for garnish (optional)

Trim the top and bottoms of the strawberries, so that they are level and can stand. Cut or scoop out the tops of the berries (I used my little 1/4 teaspoon measure).


Put the ricotta, cream cheese, sugar, honey, vanilla, and lemon zest into a food processor. Process for about three or four minutes, until the mixture is thick and smooth. Pipe or spoon the cannoli cream into the berries; I used a baggie and a star tip to make 'em look fancy.



Garnish with shaved dark chocolate...


or with lemon zest.



Happy Valentine's Day!


UPDATE: My friend, Ann, over at Sumptuous Spoonful made these and loved them!



Comments

  1. Oh my! I cannot wait to try these on the fam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay, hope they enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These little gems are just breath-taking! So beautiful, and they must be delicious. I want to try these NOW. :)
    ~Joy @ Yesterfood

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw this nice review on Pinterest: "I made this for Valentine's Day today (okay, so I am serving the strawberries washed and whole with their tops on for self-dipping), but HOLY COW this stuff ROCKS!!!"

    http://pinterest.com/pin/67835538109559459/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Love Love these! Thanks for dropping this by the Favorite Things Party! ~Red, White and Blueberries

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I just love these and can't wait to try them this spring time! Thanks for sharing this with us at Manila Spoon. Have followed your blog, too. I can't believe I haven't followed you yet here. Abby :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts